dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 23 18:16:43 UTC 2014

Am 23.06.2014 20:10, schrieb Jerry James:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>> It isn't just remove/erase operations. Updates can be problematic for
>> kernels. distro-sync can also remove some packages while updating or
>> downgrading others and that might catch some people by surprise.
>
> And once in awhile a packager fumbles Obsoletes/Provides for a
> package, and then some really surprising results can come out of the
> depsolver, as a web search for "Protected multilib versions" will
> show.
>
> How about a compromise solution: a plugin, enabled by default, that
> protects a few key components (kernel, systemd, rpm), and nothing to
> prevent that plugin from being removed (i.e., no direct dependencies
> on the plugin)?  That, it seems to me, would satisfy most of the
> participants in this thread

+1

that's what the original solution for YUM was until it was
moved from a plugin into the core, dnf itself belongs into
that list (IMHO) because for the expierienced users like
me it would be easy to donwload and install it as long
as the system is bootable and RPM was not removed

for many users it would be hard

well, and by protecting DNF from get removed at the
sime time you protect python, rpm and it's other low
level dependencies implicitly

that's also what yum does currently

i don't want to take away the great power of root from
anybody, as well as "rm -rf /" allows to override and
just go ahead, i want just a basic protection from major
mistakes mostly happening when you have no time and
say "yes" once too often at 3:00 AM with deep regret