dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 24 09:52:59 UTC 2014

Am 24.06.2014 11:36, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 24 June 2014 10:31, Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de> wrote:
>> you need to unlock the gun before you can shoot in your foot...
>> ...and modern systems ask you up to four, five times
>
> How many different locks does a gun have? Last time I checked there
> was one safety catch -- DNF asks you for 'y/N' confirmation with a
> HUGE list of packages to be removed

so answer some simple questions:

* why have YUM that protections
* why had YUM it originally as plugin
* why did developers think it's important enough to go into core

i answer you that questions:

* because it turned out to be useful
* because at the begin nobody thought about this
* because it turend out to be very useful

another question:

why do you think making the same mistakes instead learn
from the history is a smart idea?

another question:

why do people no understand the simple fact

* new kernel don't boot
* fine, you boot the last one
* another kernel update
* one older got removed
* the new one still don't boot
* another new kernel
* it still don't boot on a specific system
* oh damned the current running one was removed
* you have no bootable on your machine
* what a shame

and *no* don't repeat the nonsense "that kernels should
not make it into updates" - if it only affects a few
installations there is no way to figure that out and
it won't happen that a kernel got hold back because
a few machines may not like it for whatever reason

* been there, wrote bugreports
* the older kernel was EOL
* the newer ones worked on most machines out there
* the newer ones fixed important security bugs

you can run in circles and pretend it is not useful
for you, but the history turned out how life works
over the long and people should learn from the history
instead dream about a perfect world where no mistakes
happen