dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jun 25 12:40:47 UTC 2014

On 06/25/2014 01:47 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 06/23/2014 07:07 PM, drago01 wrote:
>
>> You still did not give a simple case why someone with some sanity left
>> would do "yum remove rpm" or "yum remove yum" ... that makes no sense.
> By accident?
>
> E.g.. I for one occasionally use to command line to remove whole sets of
> packages and these occasionally produce unexpected results or suffer
> from typos.

Accident prevention is exactly what these kind of protections are good
for and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

What I find disturbing in this (and other similar threads of the past)
is when people are obviously *leaning* on the safety mechanism. The
protection as it exists in Fedora today is not up to that, you can
easily render a system practically unusable in number of ways without
tripping up the yum protections.

For the obligatory car analogy ;) Most people agree that the electronic
stability control (ESC/ESP/DSC/...) in modern cars is extremely useful
and good for catching the occasional minor driver error. It wont save
you from constant reckless driving however.

	- Panu -