dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jun 25 13:04:42 UTC 2014

On 06/25/2014 02:40 PM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 06/25/2014 01:47 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 06/23/2014 07:07 PM, drago01 wrote:
>>
>>> You still did not give a simple case why someone with some sanity left
>>> would do "yum remove rpm" or "yum remove yum" ... that makes no sense.
>> By accident?
>>
>> E.g.. I for one occasionally use to command line to remove whole sets of
>> packages and these occasionally produce unexpected results or suffer
>> from typos.
>
> Accident prevention is exactly what these kind of protections are good
> for and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.
>
> What I find disturbing in this (and other similar threads of the past)
> is when people are obviously *leaning* on the safety mechanism. The
> protection as it exists in Fedora today is not up to that, you can
> easily render a system practically unusable in number of ways without
> tripping up the yum protections.
Absolutely. Nevertheless, yum's protection is good enough to prevent the
"really stupid" accidents.

It's not that difficult to accidentally type
# yum remove -y python <someplugin>
instead
# yum remove -y python-<someplugin>

> For the obligatory car analogy ;) Most people agree that the electronic
> stability control (ESC/ESP/DSC/...) in modern cars is extremely useful
> and good for catching the occasional minor driver error. It wont save
> you from constant reckless driving however.
I prefer the "electric fuse" analogy. No developer with a sane mind
would have the idea to construct a device/tool without fuse and expose
his users to risks of electrocute them.

Ralf