default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 21:29:39 UTC 2014

On 3/3/14, 3:16 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 16:16 +0200, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>

>> I am fine with something like what is proposed by Steve above - let users have
>> the GUI present an option that gives preference to the default without totally
>> hiding other options.
>
> You and Josef are sending mixed messages here: "btrfs is fine, but just
> not ready to be the default" and "don't make it the default, but we
> still need users to install it so it can get better, so don't take away
> the option". I don't think that is reasonable - either it is ready to be
> widely used, ie the default, or it isn't in which case it shouldn't
> appear in the UI.

The combination of those requirements would seem to mean that only
the default filesystem may appear in the UI...

> I'm pretty firmly against filesystem choice in the workstation
> installer.

Ah!  I guess that is how you feel.  :)

We do need _some_ mechanism for willing users to test more cutting-edge
code on a real install, or everything besides the default may wither and
die, as nothing else can get any real-world exposure...

-Eric