Sshd getting 'dyntransition' AVC's in SElinux enforcing mode

Dan Callaghan dcallagh at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 06:45:47 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Dan Callaghan's message of 2014-03-06 16:43:26 +1000:
> Excerpts from Daniel J Walsh's message of 2014-01-03 01:46:44 +1000:
> > This is caused by sshd running with the wrong label, It should be
> > running as sshd_t not init_t.  If the executable labeled sshd_exec_t?
> >
> > ls -lZ /usr/sbin/sshd
> >
> > restorecon -v /usr/sbin/sshd
> >
> > should fix the label.
>
> I started getting the same AVC denials a week or so ago. My
> /usr/sbin/sshd was indeed wrongly labelled:
>
> $ ll -Z /usr/sbin/sshd
> -rwxr-xr-x. root root unconfined_u:object_r:bin_t:s0   /usr/sbin/sshd
> $ sudo restorecon -v /usr/sbin/sshd
> restorecon reset /usr/sbin/sshd context unconfined_u:object_r:bin_t:s0->unconfined_u:object_r:sshd_exec_t:s0
>
> What I'm wondering is, how did it become wrongly labelled? Nothing else
> on my filesystem was wrong, according to restorecon.
>
> The errors only appear in my logs after sshd was restarted on 24 Feb for
> a yum upgrade. The updated packages included:
>
> selinux-policy-3.12.1-122.fc20.noarch
> openssh-server-6.4p1-3.fc20.x86_64
>
> (among many others). Any hints on how I can figure out what went wrong
> with the labelling of /usr/sbin/sshd?

Oh, I forgot that the yum upgrade on 24 Feb was actually from F19->F20,
just like Philip who originally started this thread.

I suppose that means we just write it off as "upgrading between releases
is not supported" then...

--
Dan Callaghan <dcallagh at redhat.com>
Software Engineer, Hosted & Shared Services