Incorrect order of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin in path

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 5 15:00:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 04:43:49PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> We really should get rid of the destinction, and make all of /bin,
> /sbin, /usr/sbin a symlink to /usr/bin, and then never bother again
> about $PATH orders and namespace collisions...

This -- and the current approach of having everything in $PATH -- leads toa
really cluttered namespace, making tab completion more frustrating than it
needs to be.

I'd like to see:

 * commands which don't work at all as non-root left in usr/sbin and that
   /removed from the default path; commands which are "system" commands but
   work on some level as non-root could go to /usr/bin

 * and commands which aren't meant to be executed by a human in normal
   course of operation put somewhere other than /usr/bin -- usr/libexec is
   kind of quirky but there it is, or else use /usr/sbin for that (and
   possibly discard the previous notion)

This is a lot of shuffling for not necessarily very much gain, but if we're
going to have some sort of shuffling, it'd be nice to have one which makes
the in-$PATH namespace cleaner.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"