Note on 'systemd-216-9'

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 5 16:48:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-11-05 at 15:26 +0100, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 11:22:10PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-11-05 at 04:52 +0100, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >
> > > It's not about Lennart. Afaik he usually sticks to git HEAD and/or
> > > rawhide. There are multiple reports about systemd entering an infinite
> > > loop and I *thought* that this is a step in the right
> > > direction.
> >
> > Well, looking at it practically as a user - if my system sticks in an
> > infinite loop on boot, and the message is 'well, this new release
> > doesn't make it boot properly, but it *will* time out and hard power off
> > after 15 minutes' - that doesn't really make me jump for joy. Has it
> > practically improved my situation? Not really.

> For powerup it doesn't, for shutdown it might. If systemd got confused
> in its little mind and cannnot unwind the stack of mounts, syncing the
> filesystems and powering off *is* a better outcome than hanging. Even
> more so for reboots - for a remote machine a hung reboot can be much
> more problematic than a reboot after 30 minutes.

Did it actually sync the filesystems? I'm pretty sure that when we hit
the bug with fedup, you got fsck's on the next boot.

> The issue is how to deal with long-running jobs. Current approach
> doesn't work for them at all — so it is not a solution we can
> enable. The timeouts are disabled in F21 packages and in upstream git
> and will push and update that also removes them in rawhide.

The timeouts seem to have come back in upstream 217:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=f189ab18de69d3dee81117d7925fb370cd038f0f
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=3898b80d409ae16b049d46f883bf763417bb4c8a
--
Adam Williamson