PROPOSAL: Make AppData files mandatory for applications shown in the software center

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 08:26:37 UTC 2014

On 7 November 2014 02:15, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> We would. My point is that we should we should make a list of
> applications which are not allowed to fall by the wayside

I think that list would be very different for each person you ask; the
easiest thing to do is to just create the AppData file for the few
applications you are passionate about keeping and build a new package
for rawhide. I don't think making a list is going to be a productive
use of time, and would possibly take more time writing emails than
just writing the few AppData files we need.

I also think there's a distinction between "I think this package is
good" and "I care enough about this package to actually fix it".
Normally I'd argue "patches welcome" is a harmful thing to say, but
given how easy it is to write an AppData file and how many
provenpackagers there are in this case I think it's justified.

Richard.