Virtual network interface

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 09:56:19 UTC 2014

Hi everybody,

Is there way how to setup some virtual network inteface, which would
always work, no matter if I use ethernet, wireles, VPN or whatever else
network connection on background?

* It is pretty annoying that every time I change my location, I have to
change configuration of my virtual machines, just because now I am not
connected via ethernet, but via WiFi.
* I don't understand why my Xchat should loose connection, when I am
switching from ethernet to WiFi (and they are both available during
interim period).

The type of network connection is just implementation detail, so why
this does not work? If there is possible to create some virtual network
interface, which would take all the real network connection under one
umbrella, this should be default for Fedora Workstation.

Additional feature could be that WiFi goes down when Ethernet is
available etc. This functionality has been available in Lenovo's Access
Connection tools at least 8 years ago as far as I remember and I greatly
missing it.

Vít