Proposal: Increasing application icon sizes to 64px

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 07:57:26 UTC 2014

On 30 September 2014 02:09, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 22:05 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
>> Who is using magnifying glasses to view icons?
>
> Icons are displayed far larger in GNOME Shell than in other desktop
> environments, and the difference between an SVG icon and a 256x256 icon
> (the mandatory minimum size for GNOME apps, and I'm definitely not the
> maintainer of several apps with only 128x128 icons, don't look at me) is
> fairly noticeable. 48x48 is really too low. 64x64 is too low....

That might be a good reason, but it's not the one given at the start
of this proposal, that was that larger icons are needed for the
software centre (i.e. for applications to get included in the
installer) due to higher resolution displays. In which case thinking
of the level of detail that should be in an icon should not be in
terms of 32x32, 64x64 etc., but in displayed sizes. Gnome Shell (last
time I looked) displays  what you might call large icons, where more
detail is appropriate, those will have to get bigger (in pixel count)
too by this reasoning, without increasing in detail.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk