Dash as default shell

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Thu Oct 2 13:49:30 UTC 2014

On 10/2/2014 09:27, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> That is a mischaracterization. Bash will remain the interactive
> shell.  This discussion is limited  to switching the system shell
> (/bin/sh) from Bash to potentially Dash.

While I appreciate your technical correction on the scope of this
proposed switch, you conveniently failed to address the core argument I
made which is by far the larger issue:  the impetus for this switch is a
knee-jerk overreaction to something that has already been patched.  As I
stated previously, if this same logic were followed for every piece of
software for which a vulnerability was discovered then a lot of software
should be dumped as well.

There needs to be a better reason to switch to another piece of software
other than, "Oh my God!  We found a bug!"

Tom