Improving the offline updates user experience

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 22:35:00 UTC 2014

On 22 October 2014 20:07, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 17.09.2014 13:58, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
>> On 09/17/2014 11:54 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>>> All those OSes require reboots when updating the OS.
>>
>> Define OS.
>>
>> Firefox is definitely not OS. While systemd is OS.
>> I am fine with reboot after systemd upgrade, but not after upgrading Firefox.
>
> the important point in that case is not reboot after upgrading Firefox
> but *before* upgrading Firefox, which means that at the time of the
> upgrade no Firefox will be running and potentially crashing because one
> of the 100s of DSOs it loads on-demand has changed in an incompatible way.
>
> there used to be quite a few ABRT crashes reported against desktop
> applications with impossible looking stack traces (although with the
> automatic micro-reports it's less of a problem nowadays as they are
> easier to ignore), and sometimes the reporter gives feedback that the
> application was running across a yum update...

While it can be a bit confusing the first time it happens to you, the
solution is just to start and stop firefox again in that case. If it
the goal is just to tidy ABRT crash reports (and I'm not sure it is)
then forcing reboots on users wouldn't be very kind.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk