Improving the offline updates user experience

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 10:33:52 UTC 2014

On 16 September 2014 11:26, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> and the other side of the story are some hundret dist-upgrades i
> made in the past years with YUM (in a screen session for safety)
> while just continue to browse the web and read / answer email

So you're saying my technical analysis is incorrect because it happens
to work for you? I've triaged many bugs to do with online and offline
update failures, and if we're going to say that we actually care about
the users data, it becomes increasingly hard to defend the "old" way
of doing it. I'm sure I could find numerous bugs numbers where doing
an online update made the session/terminal crash which of course
leaves you with duplicate packages on your system which may or may not
be fixable.

Richard