Improving the offline updates user experience

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Tue Sep 16 12:29:11 UTC 2014

On 09/16/2014 06:33 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've triaged many bugs to do with online and offline update failures,
> and if we're going to say that we actually care about the users data,
> it becomes increasingly hard to defend the "old" way of doing it. I'm
> sure I could find numerous bugs numbers where doing an online update
> made the session/terminal crash which of course leaves you with
> duplicate packages on your system which may or may not be fixable.
> Richard
OK, but this is means that we painted ourselves in the
corner---something is wrong if my Android phone, which I don't have to
reboot for updates,  has higher uptime than my computer.

We are in a bind: on one hand, the best security practice is to upgrade
daily to avoid emerging vulnerabilities; on the other hand daily reboots
aren't really a nutritious alternative.  Something has to give---which
one do we do:

  - create a separate daily security upgrade stream, curated to not
require reboots if at all possible

  - follow Microsoft and do a fixed 'patch Tuesday' schedule instead of
ASAP updates

  - rewrite Linux or at least Gnome/DBus for safe updates :)