F21/F22: xorg-x11-drv: which for SiS?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 13:52:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-23 at 04:44 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> David Airlie wrote on 2014-09-23 02:55 (GMT-0400):
>
> > Felix Miata composed
>
> >> xorg-x11-drv-sis seems to have disappeared. Did that happen on purpose? It
> >> still exists as a selelection in Bugzilla. Xorg is looking for sis module but
> >> cannot find it. Gfxchip here is Z7/Z9 (XG20 core). Is it now supposed to be
> >> using some other (not installed) driver? Before today's upgrade, X still
> >> worked.
>
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-October/190696.html
>
> > That?
>
> It's a start. Trouble is, the SiS driver isn't just for antiques. Mine is the
> onboard video chip for an LGA775 server motherboard[1].

A board featuring a chipset designed for the Pentium D, a CPU that went
out of production in 2008, with a graphics chip made by a company that's
been out of business since 2010.

> So, what exactly are people needing this driver supposed to do, particularly
> those for whom X worked before last round of updates, install Mageia's or
> openSUSE's driver (tried both in F22 with rpm. both failed deps, but with
> nodeps switch for Mageia's 0.10.7-15, startx gives me KDE)? Switch distros?
> If some other driver, why doesn't Xorg figure that out on its own?

The vesa driver should work as well as it ever does; if you have an
xorg.conf that requests sis, fix it to not.  If you're looking for
better support than that, your options also include reviving the sis
package, or porting the driver to KMS and letting the modesetting driver
handle the X side of things.

- ajax