F21/F22: xorg-x11-drv: which for SiS?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 23 14:12:37 UTC 2014

Adam Jackson wrote on 2014-09-23 09:52 (GMT-0400):

> On Tue, 2014-09-23 at 04:44 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> So, what exactly are people needing this driver supposed to do, particularly
>> those for whom X worked before last round of updates, install Mageia's or
>> openSUSE's driver (tried both in F22 with rpm. both failed deps, but with
>> nodeps switch for Mageia's 0.10.7-15, startx gives me KDE)? Switch distros?
>> If some other driver, why doesn't Xorg figure that out on its own?

> The vesa driver should work as well as it ever does;

Which is to say only on screens whose native modes are 4:3. Just try and find
one such in a store any more. Stores only want to sell HDTVs with computer
inputs, 1920x1080 or worse. They mostly support VESA modes, but those are for
4:3 screens, resulting in a fat look to everything, fatter still if 1280x1024
is supported unless on a native 1280x1024 screen.

> if you have an
> xorg.conf that requests sis, fix it to not.

As long as a sis driver from anywhere works, that's counterproductive. The
sis driver is heaps better than fbdev and vesa.

> If you're looking for
> better support than that, your options also include reviving the sis
> package, or porting the driver to KMS and letting the modesetting driver
> handle the X side of things.

For the time being at least, Mageia's driver seems to get done what the
eradicated Fedora driver also seemed to do just fine, correctly supporting
whatever display is attached.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/