'Branch freeze policy' and 'Change deadline' naming change proposal

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Sep 24 20:46:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:41:17 -0700
Adam Williamson <adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

...snip...

> AFAICS, the "Branch freeze" kicks in at the point we enable Bodhi on
> the Branched tree, which is usually a couple of weeks after forking
> it from Rawhide. For instance, on the F21 schedule -
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/21/Schedule - "Branch Fedora
> 21 from Rawhide" is listed on 2014-07-08. The first 'Fedora 21
> updates-testing' email I have is dated 2014-08-28, so I'd say the
> schedule should have had an extra row, "Branch Freeze", dated
> 2014-08-28. (The period between branching and enabling Bodhi was
> unusually long for F21).

Right. I think thats why the page was marked depreciated.

We have:

Branch from rawhide
branched release works like rawhide, no bodhi
at alpha change freeze we enable bodhi and the rest of that page makes
sense.

> The name "Branch freeze" seems unfortunate to me, however, as it's not
> really a freeze, it's more of a light cooling. I'd suggest we remove
> the 'deprecation' notice, update any details on the page which are no
> longer correct if anyone can see any, and rename it. Ideas:
>
> Branch stabilization
> Branch update policy enforcement

Branch update policy seems fine to me, but really it's just the freeze
for that milestone. So, how about: "Alpha/Beta/Final freeze" ?

> anyone got anything better?
>
> So, the second part of the process which is apparently causing trouble
> is the "Change Deadlines". These, again, seem to be something of a
> misnomer, because the Change Deadlines are the *actual* freezes. The
> problem is exacerbated by the renaming of 'Features' to 'Changes'. If
> you look again at the F21 schedule you'll see that it lists "Change
> Proposals Submission Deadline", "Changes Freeze", some "milestone
> Change Deadlines", and "Accepted Changes 100% Complete" - but those
> items are referring to two entirely *different* things when they use
> the word "Change". This is clearly unfortunate.
>
> Again, I'd recommend a renaming here. If we call the "Branch freeze"
> something else then we can simply call those points the "Alpha
> Freeze", "Beta Freeze" and "Final Freeze", which are the terms used
> informally in any case, and would line up with the "freeze exception
> policy" which determines what stuff can break those freezes.

Well, do we need to call Branch freeze something else? How about just
making it clear that it's one of Alpha/Beta/Final?

> Along with the renaming I'd like to work over the documentation a bit
> so all the relevant pages link up and sing from the same hymn sheet,
> but I can actually do that right now, orthogonal to the renaming,
> without really needing any review, so I'll just go do it. (I'll post
> a reply explaining what I did in a bit).
>
> Thanks folks!

kevin