dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 06:32:05 UTC 2015

On 7. 4. 2015 at 18:34:49, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 04/07/2015 06:09 PM, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 at 17:54 Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to
> >
> > <mailto:bruno at wolff.to>> wrote:
> >     On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 09:07:08 -0600,
> >
> >        Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com <mailto:kevin at scrye.com>> wrote:
> >      >dnf's default behavior is like yum with --skip-broken already.
> >
> >     Not when installing packages.
> >
> >      >If thats not working and you need to find out more, add '--best'
> >
> >     to see
> >
> >      >things without 'skip-broken'.
> >
> >     My understanding is that --best can erase stuff (outside of obsoletes)
> >     and I don't want to do that in scripts.
> >
> > afaik, --best don't erase stuff, you need --allowerasing for that
> >
> > --best
> >
> >     Try the best available package versions in transactions.
> >     Specifically during dnf upgrade, which by default skips over updates
> >     that can not be installed for dependency reasons, the switch forces
> >     DNF to only consider the latest packages and possibly fail giving a
> >     reason why the latest version can not be installed.
>
> Pardon, folks - But haven't we been told dnf was supposed to be yum
> compatible?

I'm afraid not. From the very beginning, we were sending a clear message that
we will be as compatible as possible in terms of CLI but we never wanted to
have just another yum. If that was the case, we wouldn't call the project
differently.

> I have to admit, I can't deny finding this kind of discussion to be very
> discurbing. They confirm my gut feelings about dnf is being not ready
> prime time and all recent decisions to make it default in mock and yum
> to be premature.

That's your opinion and I will not argue with you about it. Yum is still in
Fedora for people who share your opinion. If you have something specific that
you miss in dnf, feel free to open a bug and start a discussion with us. We
are very open to new ideas which you guys support with valid use cases, even
though I admit that some cases need to be backed by a number of requests, as
we want to implement only those features that have real impact and that matter
to a large number of our users.

Thanks
Jan