dnf replacing yum and dnf-yum

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu Apr 9 13:24:53 UTC 2015

Jan Zelený <jzeleny at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 7. 4. 2015 at 18:34:49, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Pardon, folks - But haven't we been told dnf was supposed to be yum
> > compatible?
>
> I'm afraid not. From the very beginning, we were sending a clear message that
> we will be as compatible as possible in terms of CLI but we never wanted to
> have just another yum. If that was the case, we wouldn't call the project
> differently.

Your definition of "possible" seems to be different from mine. To me
"possible" means that it doesn't require doing something impossible
such as solving the halting problem. As I don't know what you consider
possible I can't tell how compatible Yum and DNF are really supposed to
be.

If you mean that DNF will duplicate those parts of Yum's CLI that are
reasonably straightforward to implement on top of DNF's internal
architecture, then it would be better to say that.

If you mean that DNF will duplicate the most commonly used of Yum's
features, then please say that.

If you mean that whenever DNF happens to have a feature that works
similarly to one of Yum's features it will have the same name so that
users will recognize it, then please say that.

Björn Persson