minimal requirements for subpackage named common

Jan Chaloupka jchaloup at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 15:28:25 UTC 2015

On 04/28/2015 03:40 PM, Florian Festi wrote:
> On 04/28/2015 03:15 PM, Jan Chaloupka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a package (kubernetes) which I would like to decompose into 2
>> subpackages A and B. Problem is A and B share some files and directories
>> so installing both of them on the same machine results in file
>> conflicts.
> Another way of avoiding this problem is to make sure these files are
> 100% identical. This includes modification time, user, permissions and
> of course content.

At a time of installation of both packages this holds.

> But as you are using the same files from the identical build I kinda
> wonder where such differences could come from...

The only problem are this directory and configuration file:
/etc/kubernetes
/etc/kubernetes/config

which are supposed to be the same. However who can make sure, given A is
installed, that someone does not change content of config and then
installs B.

I updated packages A and B the way both now own /etc/kubernetes/config.
Then installed package A, modified config file. rpm -V reported config
file is changed. However after installing package B there was no
conflict, installation was succesful. Which brings me to a point, if the
config file is %config(noreplace) and it is edited (content,
modification time or checksum changed), is update without conflicts? In
general if I have a configuration file (with %config(noreplace)) which
was modified and a set of packages all of them owning the configuration
file, will there be any conflict of any of the packages gets updated or
installed? So far on my use case on Fedora update is possible.

Looking into [1] which talks about %config(noreplace), there is no such
information.

[1] http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~jw35/docs/rpm_config.html