Same comand names in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 03:00:51 UTC 2015

On Aug 16, 2015 2:59 PM, "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 16.08.2015 um 20:52 schrieb Eric Griffith:
>>
>>  > *No one else* suggested discarding /sbin. Doing so
>>  > will break decades of stable open source and free software.
>>
>> Didn't Arch move /usr/sbin to just be a symlink to /usr/bin?
>

> maybe
>
> but even if not, it don't matter and would not break *anything* because
after that *both* paths would be valid, independent from which unix-like OS
you start a script with a hardcoded path

> and it would avoid the topic to ever happen again
>
> now that we survived UsrMove (even if there are still broken packages
like glibc providing only /sbin/ldconfig and breaking deps when packages
using /usr/sbin/ldconfig - and the same for perl) that change would only
make things really clear

I knew that it -shouldnt- break anything, though I'm sure that some obscure
app has some weird functionality that relys on a sbin/bin split, I was just
pointing out that any major breakage should've already been caught and
handled by at least one fairly major distribution