Sponsors - who does (not) work on FE-NEEDSPONSOR tickets

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 16:30:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 17:07:07 +0200, Marcin Haba wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 17.08.2015 16:33, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 15:50:26 +0200, Marcin Haba wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, exactly! I am waiting from March 2015.
> >
> > Waiting for what?
>
> For sponsoring me by somebody.

Have you followed the How To Get Sponsored guidelines?

> Please read context. And this thread title either ;-)

Why the smiley?

With all due respect, I could write a book about some of the things
that happen at the Fedora School ... eh, the Fedora Project. I'm an
active reviewer for a long time. Some of my point of view is based
on bad experience I've made or have witnessed. Pointing the finger
at the sponsors is narrow-minded.

> > There may be a misunderstanding of the How To Get Sponsored Wiki page.
>
> If everything works fine with sponsoring, so why does this subject
> exist? It is not first thread here about sponsoring.

So what?

I'm tired by such an attitude and by all complainers, who sit and wait
instead of showing a bit of activity and following the guidelines.

> Yes, I have met a potential sponsor. But it did not cause that I started
> to be sponsored.

That's why it may take more time to _convince_ a potential sponsor.
Doing reviews *and* telling the potential sponsors about those reviews
could be one way to speed up the process.

> It is not my intention to ask every sponsor about
> sponsoring me. For this purpose is used FE-NEEDSPONSOR ticket and I am
> there already.

Waiting for what?

> > Please don't expect *every* sponsor to observe *everyone* everywhere
> > within the Fedora Project or even beyond that.
>
> I do not expect every sponsor to observe every everywhere. But sponsors
> that are not only two or three persons ;-)

And still it must be a sponsor, who is capable enough to comment on your
package(s) as a _reviewer_.

> I do not have only single package ticket.

Until earlier today, you've had only a single one in the needsponsor
queue. The other one was missing the FE-NEEDSPONSOR flag.

And that tells another tale, too. All unassigned review requests are
visible in the normal review queue. Everyone can contribute reviews there
or leave other comments. Where is the community's interest in these
packages? Where are the package users? Where are the co-maintainers?
What about all the existing packagers? Is there nobody with interest
in the packages? No interest, no reviews, no users?

Highly problematic are packages with a questionable target group, such as
targeting a niche market. If after months there still is nobody else to
contribute a review, who else uses the package or has interest it it?
There have been packages for APIs with no dependencies for many months.
Not even the original package submitter found and made a package for a
dependency. IMO, it makes no sense to flood a package collection with such
packages.

> > As above. Waiting is the biggest pitfall of the needsponsor review queue.
> > The worst is not responding to reviewer's comments and waiting inactively
> > for months (without even maintaining the submitted packages).
>
> Please show me ticket where I did not response in reasonable time?

You misunderstand it. I refer to the How To Get Sponsored guidelines.
Not every sponsor is confident enough to approve a new contributor based
on a single package only. Some sponsors _explicitly_ ask new contributors
to do a few reviews. They _require_ them to do that before sponsorship.
Some contributors are willing to do reviews. Others are not. Some of those,
who are not willing, may need to wait a much longer time before finding
a sponsor.

I don't make this all up.

> In which place packages added by my are broken?

This topic/subject is not only about _your_ package review requests.