Sponsors - who does (not) work on FE-NEEDSPONSOR tickets

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 10:25:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 10:50 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

> > That said, I considering your ongoing campaign to be harmful to
> > Fedora.
>
> I'm really sad to hear this.
>
> I was just watching the ongoing reports of want-to-be-contributors
> how hard is to get sponsored; reports how Fedora
> Repository stalled [1]; discussion that we actually do not know how
> many active sponsors we have.
> So I wanted to do something about it. So I start with this metric in
> the hope that it may show us where are the space
> for improvement.
> However since I got only negative feedback, I'm probably really doing
> something bad. Therefore I back off from this
> activity and will do something else.

The metric itself is very useful information for Fedora leadership to
know what are the available resources at a given time, and how these
evolves over time. It could also, be used as an indicator for sponsors
to remove, but I don't see much value in that - with volunteers you can
have very long gaps in their active contribution level.

Having the trends however shown by such a tool, will allow for
decisions which are backed by data. For example if the number of active
sponsors decreases we are doing something wrong. If irrespective of the
active sponsors number trend, requests continue to accumulate then some
action needs to be taken.

So I'd say go for it. Even if such data are not used now, the
statistics it will generate over time would certainly help future
decisions for Fedora.

regards,
Nikos