on software updates

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 5 02:03:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-04 at 07:00 -0800, Casey Jao wrote:
> I understand where you are coming from and that a fedora user is
> likely to see frequent updates of lots of other packages anyway. But
> on slower moving distros where systems components rarely get more
> than security updates, browsers might be one of the more frequently
> updated pieces of software.
>
> Perhaps my experience is atypical (especially since I'm on F21!),
> but after last week's Google Chrome-only update notification (which
> was the impetus for this report), today I got another Gnome software
> prompt to restart just for google-chrome-stable.

> > > There are classes of RPMs that definitely can be done without a
> > > reboot in a safe way (documentation-only; packages with a single
> > > executable and no libraries / separate data files; and quite a
> > > few other cases), and letting packagers opt them in to being
> > > updated without a reboot seems like a clear improvement on the
> > > status quo.
> >
> > It'd only be an improvement if users often saw a set of updates
> > which
> > *only* contained such packages. In my experience that rarely if
> > ever
> > happens.

Please don't top-post.

I was considering the tighter characterization of a 'safe' app to
update, not your broader one. I am happy to defer to those who've
spent more time dealing with it than me - i.e. hughsie - when they say
that, no, it isn't really 'safe' to update your web browser online.
(I'm equally happy to say 'meh' and go ahead and do it anyway, but
that's my *personal* decision for *myself*, it doesn't mean that's the
appropriate default for Fedora).

Even on 'slower moving' distributions I'd think it'd be relatively
rare for an update set to *only* include packages which contained docs
or static data or a very static application. And this is the *Fedora*
devel@ list, so I'm not really sure how relevant these 'slower moving'
distributions are to us? They're free to choose their own default
update systems, of course.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey