Systemd, Spamassassin, and the Missing Portreserve Package

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Thu Feb 5 21:44:29 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Tomasz Torcz <tomek at pipebreaker.pl> said:
>   Cleaner way would be to implement socket activation in spamd. I've
> looked into doing this.  After looking into spamd I have no idea
> how to implement sock-act cleanly.

SA is definitely (of course IMHO) one of the types of things that should
not use socket activation.  It is high overhead to start up (takes a
while to initialize), and things trying to use it that way could time
out.  The general expectation with SA is that if you want fast response,
use you spamd (started up at boot).  If you don't care about the
start-up time, you just use spamassassin directly.

Aside from that, I don't know if someone has set up socket activation
for anything in perl.  I guess it is using file descriptor passing?  I
haven't done that in perl before (although shouldn't be too hard).
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>