Which of the changes introduced in F21 might affect bash history?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 17:41:52 UTC 2015

On 16 February 2015 at 01:34, Alexander Ploumistos <
alex.ploumistos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have upgraded 3 systems to a nonproduct F21 and I have installed F21
> to a couple of others using the x86_64 Live Workstation image. They
> all suffer from intermittent losses of bash history. When the machines
> are booted or rebooted, more than half the times, there are commands
> missing from .bash_history files. It's not only that the previous
> sessions have not been appended to the files, entire portions of the
> files are wiped on occasion, e.g. history files that were more than
> 2000 lines long are now reduced to just a couple of commands.
>
> There was a bug filed against systemd during F21 testing (#1170765),
> where I followed up, but I have no idea if systemd really is to blame
> or if there is something else that could be touching history files. I
> have read the release notes as well as the system administrator's
> guide, but couldn't find anything relevant. Does anyone have any idea
> what might be off here? Which system components are involved in
> terminal history management?

Could you see if either of these are set?

#export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups:erasedups
#export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%h %d %H:%M:%S> "

I started seeing this in RHEL-6 bash after I took this from one of my
fedora boxes to get a common bashrc

I commented them out and the problem with bash losing history every now and
then went away. I figured that one of the control items was not ready for
primetime and forgot to follow up furhter.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.