Changes in the f22 workstation

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 03:33:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com> wrote:
> I'm nervous about GDM on Wayland; Wayland has never worked well on my
> systems.  Can you talk about fallback strategies a bit?  Can GDM detect when
> Wayland isn't working well enough to be usable, and cleanly fall back?
It tries to.  We do start X in a different way now when falling back
(as part of the user session, instead of as root outside of the user
session), so there may be bugs that need to get ironed out.  It worked
okay in my limited testing though (putting nomodeset on the kernel
commandline on my intel based laptop)

> That's probably a big ask, though; presumably this can be set one way or
> another by the user?
Right you can put WaylandEnable=false in the [daemon] section of
/etc/gdm/custom.conf to skip wayland altogether.

--Ray