New Upstream Release Monitoring Systems

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Tue Feb 24 12:05:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 12:33:29PM +0100, Petr Hracek wrote:
>    On 02/20/2015 09:36 PM, Ralph Bean wrote:
>  Names of systems:
>
>  - pkgdb is the familiar Fedora Package DB https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb
>    It provides some flags used by the other systems.
>  - anitya is the web app running at https://release-monitoring.org
>    It is responsible for scraping upstream release sites looking for new
>    releases.
>  - the-new-hotness is a backend daemon that responds to fedmsg messages about
>    upstream releases.
>
>  The bugs filed in bugzilla look much the same as they did before, but for
>  packagers there is one thing to note:  the process of getting your package(s)
>  registered for upstream release monitoring has changed.  Please see the
>  instructions[2] on the wiki page.
>
>  Old packages that were listed on the wiki page have been imported to
>  release-monitoring.org and have had their monitoring flag set in pkgdb.  New
>  packages added to Fedora now have their monitoring flag set to True by default
>  and a script attempts to map them to an upstream project in
>  release-monitoring.org automatically.
>
>  If you want new upstream releases monitored for your package(s), you must:
>
>  - Add the upstream project to anitya[3].
>  - Map the upstream project to a Fedora package in anitya[3].
>  - Enable the monitoring flag for that Fedora package in pkgdb2[4].
>
>  [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upstream_release_monitoring#Details
>  [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upstream_release_monitoring#TLDR.3B_Get_Packages_Monitored
>  [3] https://release-monitoring.org

>    Really nice and good work.
>
>    In our project called rebase-helper
>    https://github.com/phracek/rebase-helper
>    we would like to analyze a new upstream version against an old upstream
>    version
>    and let user now what is changed. E.g. Binaries are missing, soname bump
>    change, header files are missing etc.
>
>    Is there any possibility how to integrate a tool (e.g. rebase-helper) to
>    upstream release monitoring system?

I think the easiest for this is to rely on fedmsg to find out about the new
releases.
Looking further into rebase-helper maybe a better place to integrate it would be
the-new-hotness as it seems to be pretty Fedora specific for anitya*.

Pierre

* Anitya isn't meant to be Fedora specific, on the contrary, we would like to
have as many distros as possible.