F22 System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform in Fedora

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat.fwd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 05:39:16 UTC 2015

/*Kevin Kofler*/ wrote on Wed, 25 Feb 2015 01:31:59 +0100:
> Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>> = Proposed System Wide Change: Legacy implementations of the Java platform
>> in Fedora =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/LegacyJDKsInFedora
>>
>> Change owner(s): Jiri Vanek <jvanek at redhat.com>
> IMHO, this is not implementable for a simple practical reason: All the JARs
> we ship are built from source with our default JDK. They will in general NOT
> work on any JRE that's older than the default JDK. (A JRE/JDK that's NEWER
> than the default JDK can work though, e.g., the java-1.8.0-openjdk packages
> in Fedora 19 and 20. But we were already providing those.)
>
>          Kevin Kofler

I'd say this proposal is very similar to my proposal[1] for libraries:
the legacy JDKs can be useful for the user when facing with non-Fedora
development. IMHO, it is fine, and even great, that no Fedora JARs will
depend on legacy JDK. However, if there are JAR files which are useful
for a developer, they can have a -legacy version too!

Regards,
Hedayat

[1] "Proposal to (formally/easily) allowing multiple versions of the
same library installable" thread