Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 21:12:08 UTC 2015

On 3 January 2015 at 20:56, Gary Scarborough <gscarborough at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is workstation being aimed at new users or developers?

I don't think people fit clearly in these simplistic groups. I'm an
experienced GNOME developer, but I've never used C# before.

> A package manager that can show ALL packages should be installed by default in Gnome on Fedora.

I've had about a decade trying to help here. Designing an application
manager is hard. Making an application "jack of all trades" makes it
"master of none". I tried to mix packages and application concept in
gnome-packagekit over the last few years, but it made for a poor
package manager experience and a poor application management
experience. So much so, now that gnome-software exists and is being
used for application management and system updates, I've ripped out
all the application stuff from gnome-packagekit returning it to a 100%
package-centric view.

If you type "package" into the dash the fist entry is "GNOME Packages"
which is the install/remove tool from gnome-packagekit. You can
install it with three clicks. I don't think it makes sense to install
it by default.

Richard