Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayat.fwd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 21:24:30 UTC 2015

/*Kevin Fenzi*/ wrote on Sat, 3 Jan 2015 14:09:11 -0700:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 15:56:55 -0500
> Gary Scarborough <gscarborough at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <...>
>> Instead of hiding the CLI from new users, why not simply give them the
>> option of avoiding it?  Instead of only showing gui apps, why not
>> show all with packages being tagged as either cli or gui.  Then the
>> user can decide whether or not they want to install the package.
> Well, the current state of things is that the GUI software manager
> shows only GUI apps and users need to use a cli software manager to
> install and manage cli apps. I'm not sure there's advantage to showing
> cli apps in the GUI software manager.
It has advantage for a user who prefers GUI, but sometimes needs to
install and use a CLI application. Such a user, which can easily include
many GNU/Linux new users who might happen to need to use a specific CLI
application, might know about the cli application usage (e.g. using a
app specific manual) but doesn't know anything about dnf/yum, and is not
interested to learn them. Does anybody really think that there should be
any relation between the UI of your package manager and the UI of the
packages you install with it? If so, maybe dnf/yum should be also unable
to install GUI apps. :P

Hedayat