Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-01-07)

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 14:31:49 UTC 2015

Dne 8.1.2015 v 15:03 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):

> On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 10:40 +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> Dne 7.1.2015 v 21:14 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
>>>
>>>   * Tentative date for side-tag merge is 2015-01-28  (sgallagh,
>>>     19:09:55)
>>>

>> What does it mean actually? Does it mean that if I plan to do rebuild of
>> Ruby packages in side-tag, I am supposed to be finished before 28th,
>> i.e. in less then 3 weeks? Considering that Ruby was not approved yet by
>> FESCO and that Ruby change more or less blocks Ruby on Rails change, how
>> are we supposed to handle everything?
>>

> Yes, it needs to be finished before the 28th. If that cannot be done,
> then consider deferring this change to Fedora 23.

My feature was submitted to wrangler 17th of December and it will be
hopefully approved 14th January (one month later) ... I could even
submit it until 20th of January, which means FESCo would approve it 28th
of January at the best, which is the same date like the side-tag merge.
So where is the time in the schedule I can actually do my work?

And I won't start with any builds until the change is approved, because
.... I don't know actually, but I believe that the FESCo approval should
come first prior I start any rebuilds, because although the builds are
done in side tag, the possible reverts in master are not for free.

> The reason for "tentative" was mostly so we could get feedback from
> rel-eng on whether this is actually feasible.
>

>> On the other hand, there are two week between branch and freeze, what
>> are these good for? Is it just for maintainers to enjoy work with
branches?

> I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. There needs to be a gap
> between branching and Freeze so that things can settle out. (For
> example, there are often a few packages that need post-branch updates
> for a variety of reasons. Also, the branch process itself sometimes
> needs some time to shake out the bugs.

Obviously, you don't give me as a developer any time to actually develop
something, but then you give two weeks to settle down something which
does not need settling ... or it needs settling because I don't have
time to develop something, depends on the way how you look at it.

Sorry for being grumpy about this but according to the original proposal
[1], I should have enough time till branch in worst case, which was
scheduled to 10th February, now suddenly you shorten the period just to
half of the time. This is not nice.

Vít

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Releases/22/Schedule&oldid=397875