Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-01-07)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jan 13 22:58:51 UTC 2015

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:50:06 -0700
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> You forgot "too many packages?" There are 15842 packages in Fedora 21
> and 16230 in Rawhide. That is a lot of packages that have to be
> rebuilt possibly multiple times due to FTBFS, multiple architectures,
> etc.
>
> 2.5 weeks is 25200 minutes. That means a mass rebuild is doing 0.6
> packages a minute across 3 architectures. That is pretty darn fast

The Fedora 21 mass rebuild took about 40 hours. ;)

That's really not the reason for more time, its the fallout from that.
When the mass rebuild is tagged in, sometimes there's things broken in
the build root, those need humans to look at and fix. Then, there are
all the packages that didn't build for whatever reason, those need
humans to look at them and fix them up. The ones with broken deps need
fixing, etc.

So, while the mass rebuild itself is less than 2 days, it takes a while
to stablize things after that. If we branched right after the mass
rebuild we would have to then stablize both rawhide and f22.

It's hard to say how much time we really need there... it depends on
how much stuff got broken, how hard it is to fix and how much time
maintainers have to fix things.

kevin