Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-01-07)

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Jan 13 23:24:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:58:51 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:50:06 -0700
> Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You forgot "too many packages?" There are 15842 packages in Fedora
> > 21 and 16230 in Rawhide. That is a lot of packages that have to be
> > rebuilt possibly multiple times due to FTBFS, multiple
> > architectures, etc.
> >
> > 2.5 weeks is 25200 minutes. That means a mass rebuild is doing 0.6
> > packages a minute across 3 architectures. That is pretty darn fast
>
> The Fedora 21 mass rebuild took about 40 hours. ;)
>
> That's really not the reason for more time, its the fallout from that.
> When the mass rebuild is tagged in, sometimes there's things broken in
> the build root, those need humans to look at and fix. Then, there are
> all the packages that didn't build for whatever reason, those need
> humans to look at them and fix them up. The ones with broken deps need
> fixing, etc.
>
> So, while the mass rebuild itself is less than 2 days, it takes a
> while to stablize things after that. If we branched right after the
> mass rebuild we would have to then stablize both rawhide and f22.
>
> It's hard to say how much time we really need there... it depends on
> how much stuff got broken, how hard it is to fix and how much time
> maintainers have to fix things.

right. in the past the building took around a week or a bit more, we
have gotten that down. which is why I said we could drop the 4 weeks to
3. the time consuming part is the cleanup and fixing of issues. that
needs people. If everything is perfect a week could well be sufficient.
Ideally we want secondary arches to be done in the window as well.
just to make sure that there is no fallout on them requiring a second
rebuild. which could also happen on primary. we have had ABI issues etc
in the past on all arches.

Dennis