Flash plugin 0-day vulnerability in the wild

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 16:13:58 UTC 2015

On 01/23/2015 09:29 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 01/23/2015 10:25 AM, poma wrote:
>> Until this is resolved, is this a valid way:
>> $ sandbox -X -T tmp -t sandbox_web_t firefox
>> to cover this security issue, or can we isolate only libflashplayer.so,
>> not the entire browser.
>>
>> Daniel, can you comment.
>>

> libflashplayer.so runs within the Mozilla-plugin I believe. If so it
> would be confined
> if you have not turned on the unconfined_mozilla_plugin_transition boolean.
>
> If this is the case we are somewhat protected, and of course  you run
> with setenforce 1.
>
> sandbox -X will also add more protection.

Is that boolean just very badly named/described, because it certainly
sounds like it works the opposite of what you said above:

   "Allow unconfined users to transition to the Mozilla plugin domain when
running xulrunner plugin-container."

The only possible way I can read that is to say that with the boolean
_set_ execution will transition to the confined plugin domain, and with
the boolean _unset_ it will remain unconfined.

                 Do NOT delete it.