GNOME glitches in F21 - Should they be reported and against which components?

Alexander Ploumistos alex.ploumistos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:23:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 5:29 PM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner at gnome.org>
wrote:

> Keeping track of the window size prior to maximization and restoring
> it on unminimize is the window manager's job. However if no windows
> besides Firefox are affected, I wouldn't exclude a bug there. Maybe
> some rogue add-on?

After a little bit of testing, I can confirm that it happens with every
app. I have a 1920x1080 monitor resolution and conky running on the right
side of the desktop (260px wide). I killed conky to make sure it's not
involved somehow.
I set gedit to cover the entire desktop, starting from the left edge and
leaving ~330px from the right (window width ~1590px). After maximizing and
unmaximizing it, it becomes 1717px. If the original window width is larger
than ~1730px, when it is restored it becomes either 1717px or something
smaller than it originally was. The same thing happens with gnome-terminal,
seamonkey, bluefish, gnucash and just about every other app I tried.
Do I file this against mutter?

> > 2. Random rearrangement of icons on the desktop:
> > I have organized my current projects and things to do in a dozen folders
> on
> > my desktop, arranged in a grid. So far, this has happened to me three
> times:
> > Upon logging in, some of them were taken out of the grid and randomly
> placed
> > all over the desktop.
>
> The desktop window is provided by nautilus.

Should I file a bug, when I don't have a way to reproduce this behavior?

> > 3. Icon inconsistencies in the message tray:
> > Some icons are 48x48, others 22x22 and others are not displayed at all.
> In
> > this screenshot
> > https://alexpl.fedorapeople.org/screenshots/gnome_message_tray.png
> > there are actually 8 icons: a seahorse notification that a signature was
> > good, solaar, dropbox (I don't know if our package is to blame or
> theirs),
> > mail-notification, spideroak, gnote, nut monitor and easystroke.
>
> This is a (known) gnome-shell issue. I'm afraid the notification
> changes won't really affect this (other than: "it was wrong to pretend
> those were notifications, let's decouple them again"), but reporting
> it again is probably not too useful anyway.

So these icons will remain in the message tray or will they be moved to the
top bar notification area?
>From GNOME's own icons, I gather that 48x48 is the default size. Seahorse
was problematic since F19, mail notification and solaar icons were 48x48 in
F20, easystroke's icon was visible in F20 (same package version as
currently in F21), dropbox and spideroak were at 22x22 (I think). Do I
bother the maintainers, or do I leave them be?

> This is probably not a bug. The default of the
> middle-click-on-titlebar setting was changed, so unless you explicitly
> changed the setting before, it is expected that you get the new
> default rather than preserving the default value from time of
> installation.

I'm not sure about that one, so I'm dropping it.