initscripts

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 28 02:15:42 UTC 2015

Am 28.01.2015 um 01:23 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 01/27/2015 08:18 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
>> We hope that NM can be installed on most systems, and will be there when
>> required and useful, but will get out of the way when not required.
>
> Well I can confirm that NM pretty much does exactly that seeing as I
> have been running networkd for couple of months in a mix with NM to
> overcome some of networkd current limitations.
>
> It even can be removed cleanly if it comes down to that.
>
> it's everything else that needs to be fixed not to use or ( correctly )
> depend on it ( or package separately in a sub package when doing so )
> but that's not your headache.
>
> In a perfectly functional community it would require someone to drive
> that effort and have the FPC being able to make guideline changes within
> reasonable amount of time.
>
> That's not happening at least not within two years time frame but let's
> hope that at least the legacy network initscript will dead and gone long
> before that finally happens

as said way too often:

Fedora is building an *operating system* and you can change packages,
sub-packages or whatever you want - this leads not in a clean migration
of hundrets and thousands of perfectly working enduser machines

it's impossible to do that automated for complexer setups with multiple
NIC's, firewall rules, routings, bridges and bondig-setups in all sort
of combinations nor do you anybady something good by forcing him to
rebuild his configurations from scratch with all testing efforts