Filing Bugs for Python 3 Switch

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 12:12:12 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> > > So, at today's FESCo meeting there was a good deal of discussion about
> > > python as default:
> > > http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2015-01-28/fesco.2015-01-28-18.02.log.html#l-41
> > >
> > > in which we agreed defer this to F23, file bugs against rawhide after
> > > branch (+6,0,0)
> >
> > I really don't get this. I was over the log and didn't find a compelling
> > argument as to why this should be postponed. Can someone sum the arguments
> > up, please?
>
> Let me try, based on my understanding of the conversation: whatever the
> technical changes / progress in migration are (and the actual migration can
> of course technically be staged over time), we can only have a public
> announcement (and PR) that “Python 3 is now the default” once.  We do have
> some flexibility in what that announcement means, but it should be enough so
> that we will never need to follow up with a “Python 3 is now really the
> default, trust us this time” Change/announcement.
>
> FESCo felt that not “enough” has been ported yet (in particular that the
> default install will not be ported by F22, and that Anaconda is unlikely to
> make it), hence postponing the Change / announcement aspct.
>     Mirek

Thanks, that makes sense. Some questions:
- What if Anaconda does make it? :)
- What is "enough"? It's possible that two or three packages may be still unported even in F23 (and as for server livecd in F23, I think there will be few more).
- So is it ok if I file bugs for all components that I know are upstream-compatible with Python 3 (bugs to get them switched, I mean)?

Slavek