Sponsor shortage

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 10:04:01 UTC 2015

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 09:53:23 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> What I'm getting here is that you have a very clear aspirations and
> expectations of what activities a new contributor should be engaging
> in. The questions I think are interesting are:
>
> a) Are we making these expectations clear enough to new contributors?
> b) Are we using our available tools and mechanisms optimally to
> facilitate and encourage those activities?
>
> I would welcome your thoughts on those two points (and anyone else who
> wants to contribute, of course).

Nowadays, I would likely shift the prerequisites to highlight the
importance of

  - the "fedora-review" tool
  - Mock, as needed by fedora-review and used by koji
  - koji, the Fedora Build System

New packagers MUST attempt at doing a self-review with the help of
the fedora-review tool, i.e. honestly try to fill in the '[ ]' items.

New packagers MUST become familiar with Mock at the level of being
able to do local test-builds.

New packagers MUST become familiar with koji at the level of being
able to do scratch-builds and handle errors in build.log and root.log.

Add to that familiarity with bodhi web, Fedora's Update System web page,
i.e. where to find it and leaving karma points on updates. Bodhi CLI as
a bonus.