Sponsor shortage

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jul 12 18:15:09 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 12:04:01 +0200,
  Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
>Nowadays, I would likely shift the prerequisites to highlight the
>importance of
>
>  - the "fedora-review" tool
>  - Mock, as needed by fedora-review and used by koji
>  - koji, the Fedora Build System

I started out as a user, and as time went by started doing more bug
reporting and participating on some of the mailing lists. Eventually
I wanted to become a packager so I could get colossus into Fedora. I
had been partipatng in the games SIG to some extent so I brought
discussion about the game there. I think working with a SIG where
people might be interested in package is a good way to attract a
sponsor. Before I even got sponsored, I ended up getting sucked in
as the games spin maintainer. I suspect being a contributor in other
ways also helped me get looked at by a sponsor.

Since then most of my new package work is rescuing old games packages.
I don't do reviews, as I don't think I am very good at them and I am
swamped by the packages I am currently maintaining. I figure it is
best for me to contribute to the project where I seem to be best
able to help. I came close to getting burnt out when I stepped up
to temporarily do some stuff I really didn't want to while a replacement
was looked for, but the process took too long. Now I am trying to be
more careful to get stuff done, without taking on so much that I burn out.

I think we should really encourage people to be users first and move
slowly into packing or other ways of contributing. I would also suggest
de-emphasizing the new package approach to packaging, but rather
co-maintaining packages. Fedora has a lot of packages already, and we
really need more people helping with the existing set of packages,
than adding new ones. This could also end up freeing time for some of
our best packagers to work on getting some tricky packages into Fedora
that are too hard for new packagers to do succesfully.