Sponsor shortage

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sun Jul 12 13:58:37 UTC 2015

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 14:31:52 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I happened to look at this page:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/PackageReviewStatus/NEEDSPONSOR.html
>>
>> from which I can see we have potentially on the order of 100 new
>> potential contributors to Fedora whose efforts we're missing out on
>> due to a lack of sponsors. Some people seem to have been waiting to be
>> sponsored for a couple of years. This is quite an unfortunate
>> situation - what can we do to improve that situation? How many
>> *active* packaging sponsors do we currently have?
>
> How many *active* NEEDSPONSOR contributors do we have?
>
> There are many in the queue, who submit a single package with lots of
> mistakes -- or the package not building at all -- and slow response
> times in bugzilla, or no response, and who don't follow the How To Get
> Sponsored guidelines either.

I like to think of being a sponsor as an exciting opportunity to shepherd
new contributors to fedora.

Taking the attitude of "It's too hard... (mostly) because it will be a lot
of work to turn them into good packagers", is... less than constructive
here, imo.  My blunt suggestion: if that bothers you, then help clean out
the queue.

Further, I think it's more than just a sponsor shortage, but a *reviewer*
shortage too.  If only all packagers would strive to do at least as many
reviews as packages they've submitted, I think we wouldn't be having this
conversation.  Hrm, an interesting metric I'd love to see: for all
packagers, calculate ratio of pkg-reviews / pkg-submissions-approved, and
give big kudos to anyone near 1 or higher (probably with some minimal
numbers to be fair here, ie for anyone with pkg-reviews and/or pkg-
submissions greater than, say, 5)

-- Rex

p.s. Heck, for the amount of effort put into this thread so far, I'd venture
at least another few reviews could have been done