and legacy software Re: pyorbit

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:47:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 21:27:45 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:

> As I have thought for some time,  I think we should have a team to keep
> packages and make migrations like gtk2 to gkt3, libgnome2, pyorbit,
> gnome-python2, pyhton2 to python3 , qt3 etc etc

Wishful thinking. Porting from gtk2 to gtk3 is non-trivial or not even
feasible in all cases (without dropping some features/implementations).
Some developers are unhappy with gtk3. Others switch to Qt.

> A team that take care of legacy software, preferably that update it,  I
> got some in my own gdesklets , rawstudio, gmameui ,  flumontion ,
> gtetrinet ...

Eventually, unmaintained software will break when all the things around
it change and nobody updates the software to reintegrate it well again.