F23 System Wide Change: Default Local DNS Resolver

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 13:54:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-03 at 14:07 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> come on stop trolling that way because you know exactly what i am talking
> >> about by "broken client software" - the point is that with caching on each and
> >> every device you lose the oppotinity clear central caches for whatever reason
> >> and make the changes visible on all clients in realtime
> >
> > You will lose the ability because *you configured the zone with
> > inappropriately long TTL*
>
> no, you lose the ability only when each and every device maintains it's
> own cache while TTL is normally meant for resolvers and you don't need
> more than *one* trustable and redundant resolver for a whole LAN
>
> with that *one* flush on that resolver would lead in the desired result
> for the whole network and you don't need hacks like dns views for the
> own LAN with a very low TTL while you don't want that for the rest of
> the world

Reindl can you stop please ?
You want to use a standards protocol in a way that it was not designed
for. Caching ALL THE WAY DOWN TO CLIENTS is part of the *design* of the
protocol. You want to bend it to do things that convenience you and you
have KNOBS to do that, the TTL levels.
It's really up to you.

What is not up to you is telling someone is a troll when they explain to
you what a standard says. Go read the fine RFCs now and put up (with
proposals in IETF) or shut up please.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York