virt-manager - libappindicator-gtk3 - remmina

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 4 22:44:34 UTC 2015

Michael Catanzaro wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-06-04 at 03:24 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> libappindicator is now (since Fedora 22) also REQUIRED for GTK+
>> system tray
>> applets to work under KDE Plasma. (Plasma 5 no longer supports the >
>> legacy XEmbed-based system tray protocol that the builtin GTK+ classes
>> implement.)
>
> Hey, that's awesome, congrats on killing XEmbed. I wish GNOME would do
> that as well....

Implementing the new status notifier specification would get you a long way
there, in addition to improving GNOME Shell interoperability with
applications written for Plasma or Unity. There's even (finally!) an
implementation that GNOME could just merge:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/615/appindicator-support/

(The extension was developed by rgcjonas based on patches submitted by
Giovanni Campagna back in 2011. Thanks to Giovanni Panozzo (Reminna
upstream) for the link and to Simone Caronni for forwarding it here.)

        Kevin Kofler