DKMS is not installing the right kernel-devel package

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jun 9 19:41:32 UTC 2015

On 09.06.2015 21:04, Neal Gompa wrote:
> I've noticed that when dkms is installed, it's not grabbing the right
> kernel-devel package as a dependency.

Because that's not possible with ordinary dependencies (might be
possible with soft dependencies [Suggests, Enhances etc]) unless we
change something in the kernel packaging (see below).

> Instead, it grabs
> kernel-debug-devel. This occurs on Fedora 21 and 22, and I'm not sure
> why.

Because all kernel*devel package provide kernel-devel iirc.

> Anyone have any idea why this is happening and a way to work around it?

Create something like a meta-package "kernel-devel-all" that depends on
all available kernel-devel packages (kernel-devel, kernel-PAE-devel,
kernel-debug-devel, ...) for the arch in question; then add "Requires:
kernel-devel-all" to the akmods and dkms packages. That's messy and
creates overhead for users, but that's afaics the only way it will work
for everyone; otherwise you'll always run into situations where a
kernel-devel package for one kernel variant gets installed while you are
running different variant. Example: You get kernel-devel via some
dependency in akmods or dkms; but you are running kernel-PAE on your
i686 machine, so building modules with akmods or dkms will fail, as
that's requires kernel-PAE-devel.

HTH; CU, knurd