Btrfs as default filesystem for Fedora 23?

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Tue Jun 23 18:38:03 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I recall, Josef Bacik mentioned that he'd be pushing for Btrfs
> becoming the default in Fedora 23
> <https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-October/203058.html>
>
> . At this point, I'm personally convinced that it is certainly ready and
> doable for F23.

Well actually he said his "plan" was to push for F23.  I've been using
btrfs raid 6 for several years now and have been lucky I haven't
encountered any issues - but if you subscribe to the mailing list you'll
see others haven't been quite as lucky.  I'm sure he'll propose it once he
believes it is ready.  When proposing a default change it is prudent to be
cautious. In the meantime it's there to use for early adopters; and the
more people who test the faster issues will be identified and corrected.
Just be sure you've taken the proper precautions.... ;-)