dnssec-trigger + GNOME + NetworkManager integration

P J P pjp at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 24 08:06:38 UTC 2015

  Hello,

> On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 10:13 PM, Tomas Hozza wrote:
> Now we know that we have at least 3 components on the system, that are
> trying to do the same thing - Captive Portal detection:
> - dnssec-trigger
> - NetworkManager
> - GNOME Shell
>
> We don't have a problem with turning the detection off, however we need
> to agree on system-wide solution that works properly.

   True, couldn't agree more. +100

> On Wednesday, 24 June 2015 12:47 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> Yes, that's correct. If NetworkManager's ConnectivityState is
> NetworkManager.ConnectivityState.PORTAL, then we launch a small (250
> lines of code) GTK+ app with a WebKitWebView [1][2].
>
> I expect that as long as NetworkManager's existing connectivity API is
> not broken, GNOME should be fine.

  If Gnome too depends on NetworkManager APIs, I wonder why is it separately conducting captive portal detection on its own?

IMHO NetworkManager is best placed and best suited to conduct network probes and notify other applications via its APIs. NM could be our one solid system wide solution for everything that is network.

---
Regards
   -P J P
http://feedmug.com