FESCo Meeting Minutes (2015-03-04)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 01:21:50 UTC 2015

On 6 March 2015 at 17:11, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > It is a two way street. You own the device. They make the OS. Each is
> > their own 'ball' if I am using your original metaphor appropriately. Each
> > sees the other as the field the ball gets played on. If you don't like
> the
> > field that your ball is playing on you are free to ask for something to
> be
> > changed. If it doesn't get changed you can go find another field to play
> > on. And vice versa.
>
> The idea that the OS manufacturers get to control what you do with your
> machine is a totally proprietary attitude that absolutely goes against the
> spirit of Free Software. This control-freakiness is exactly what we hate
> about proprietary software!
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Here is my point .
Here is where you guys think it is     ----------<30 light
years>----------------> .

The point I am worried about is that Chris and you are treating this as a
binary problem versus a spectrum one.

I am more worried about the general case of the process of this 'request
for change'. If all it is going to take to make a team do something would
be a lot of email requests.. what happens when every person you ever peeved
off starts a thread on moving KDE back to 3.5 because the current software
interferes with their hardware. If it is their ball and you have to do
whatever they say... I can see a LOT of petty wars brought up, fought and
no one winning. [And no one say 'common sense' will prevent that. When most
every email has been assailing the others decision as lack of common
sense.. we already threw that out.]

I would say that this is madness.. but I am afraid that someone will kick
me in a well and say that this is Fedora.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.