Is there a process for requesting packaging?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Mar 7 13:15:27 UTC 2015

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:53:27 +0100
fedora at activityworkshop.net wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm an upstream developer and I'm unfamiliar with the Fedora
> processes, so my apologies if I'm asking obvious questions or asking
> in the wrong place!

Not at all. This is a fine place. ;)

> I've seen lots of pages about how to become a Fedora packager, and
> the processes for reviewing packages, but I haven't yet found
> anything suggesting how I could go about _requesting_ whether an
> already experienced Fedora packager might like to adopt another
> package.  Is there such a thing, or is the only option that I dive
> into learning how to do it myself?

There is a generic 'wishlist':
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintainers_wishlist

But as you can see from looking at it, its kind of a big dumping ground
of anything anyone anytime thought might be nice to have packaged. ;)

> To be specific, I would be interested in submitting the GPL2 java
> application "GpsPrune" for inclusion.  It's already in Debian, so
> maybe that's a good starting point.  And there are unofficial rpms in
> OpenSuse, which may also be helpful.  There are only a small number
> of dependencies, most of which are optional, and I would be more than
> happy to help from my side to tweak things if necessary.
>
> I believe that if there were packagers who had already created
> packages for java applications, and were willing to take on another
> one, it would take orders of magnitude less effort than if I were to
> try to do it myself and ask for it to be reviewed.  Is there a way to
> submit a request for packaging?

I'd suggest mailing the Fedora Java sig: